Come Work With Lockedown Design
Visual Designer / UI Designer
This is an ongoing, per-project, independent contract position.
Lockedown Design is looking for a visual designer who believes in doing great work for great clients. Your role on projects will be to help design visual systems that solve business problems. You’ll be helping our clients by designing the visual look and feel, layout, and assets for their websites and marketing materials.
Being able to communicate effectively with clients and teammates is a must. This includes listening, asking good questions, and being able to convince others of why you made strategic design decisions. Our ideal fit is someone who can think, reason, talk, and write well.
You can read more about what our company believes in at https://www.lockedowndesign.com/core-values/. These are principles that will help guide our decisions now and in the future.
Our web design projects have a positive impact on the businesses that hire us. We believe a solid process and consistent communication is paramount to solving real-world problems through design, development, and message.
This position is on a per project basis. You would remain an independent business or contractor, so you are free to take on other projects.
Ideally, you’re located in the Sacramento area, but it’s not a requirement. This is a fully remote position.
Qualities We’re Looking For
- Solid understanding of color theory, visual hierarchy, typography, understanding of visual design principles.
- Experience in UI design / wireframes / visual website design / mockups.
- Proficiency in Photoshop and Illustrator. Ability to design PSDs or AI mockups for websites based on research information, goals, existing branding assets.
- The drive to always be learning and growing.
- The desire to serve people in your local community through your talents.
- Confidence in your design decisions, and the ability to convince others of what will benefit them the most. Good design still needs to be sold.
- Experience in logo design is a plus.
- An understanding of the phases of the design process: research, strategy, information architecture, visual design, development, marketing.
- Time management skills, and the ability to judge how much you can get done in a certain time-frame. You need to be able to communicate your time bandwidth, and follow through with what you commit to.
- We like folks that are easy to get along with. We pass on people who are difficult to work with, no matter how talented they are. We believe collaboration and consistency wins in the long run.
We pay your standard rate. We prefer flat fee billing, since we bill clients on a flat fee/value-based pricing schedule in most cases. If you have an hourly or day rate, just let us know what that rate is. We’ll be honest about whether we can work with that number or not.
We’re looking for collaborative partners who are a good fit. You would still be an independent business/contractor, and we will treat you with the respect you deserve as an independent business operator.
Other Things You Should Know
- We choose clients carefully. We say no to prospects that are a bad fit. You’ll be helping solve interesting problems for good people running worthwhile businesses.
- We listen to your input. We’re here to collaborate with you on great projects as equals on a project team.
- We look to make a positive difference in people’s lives and businesses. We believe in empowering others. This includes our clients, our teammates, our partners, and our collaborators.
How to Apply
Even if you feel like you don’t match 100% of the qualifications listed above, we’d still like you to apply. We like to meet other people in our community.
Write a short email or cover letter to let us know why you’d like to work with Lockedown Design.
You may send this information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include some samples of design work that you’ve done that we should look at. Let us know what role you played in these projects.
“Our brown M&Ms” clause
Let us know what historical figure you admire most, and a sentence or two about why you made that choice.
If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask us!
We look forward to hearing from you!